- My News
- All News
- Most Popular
Japan's health minister Katsunobu Kato said on Tuesday that the government has pledged to fix within a week issues that have caused operation of its COVID-19 contact-tracing smartphone app to be halted, as reported The Japan Times.
The free app, which was launched on June 19 and had been downloaded around 3.71 million times as of Tuesday, erroneously accepts reference numbers not issued by the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry, Kato said.
People who test positive for COVID-19 are issued the processing numbers that the app uses to confirm they have the virus.
The app should alert people when they have been near someone infected with COVID-19.
However, the processing number issue is not the only problem, other defects include the wrong download date being displayed, Kato said.
The ministry will not currently issue processing numbers and aims to release an updated version of the app in a week with fixes applied.
Did you like this article?