- My News
- All News
- Most Popular
As coronavirus infections jumped in New Orleans, Louisiana, state and local officials repeatedly told the US government that its new drive-through testing effort was not going well, as reported NASDAQ on Tuesday.
According to emails between local and federal officials, people tested often waited more than a week for results, while officials had no information on who had been notified by a federally contracted call centre.
While the US Department of Health and Human Services did not address the issues, it called the drive-through sites "a profound success" with more than 77,000 people tested nationwide.
Laboratory Corporation of America, which was processing the New Orleans tests, sent state officials their first batch of results, but with no corresponding phone numbers for many of those tested.
The state then transferred the testing data to the city, which on March 28 assigned eight people to field calls and reach out to those tested, but the city health department said it still awaited results from LabCorp on about 1000 tests, some of which have been pending for as long as 10 days.
LabCorp spokesman Mike Geller said the company has faced exceptional demand during the COVID-19 pandemic but now targets delivering results in four to five days.
Did you like this article?